MSBO certification is a voluntary system, established in 1998. It provides focused training to school business officials in order to:
- Offer practical information that will help school business officials succeed and excel in their employment; and
- Establish a basis for advancing professionalism of school business officials and assuring school districts that current or prospective business officials have a base of knowledge about laws, regulations, and procedures for functioning in a Michigan public school
The MSBO certification program provides information to school business professionals at the beginning of their careers and to assure continuing professional development throughout. In developing the program several guidelines were used:
- Provide access to information needed to succeed on the job in the first three years.
- Offer practical overviews of key areas of law, regulation, and practice.
- Identify resources for in-depth and additional information that may be utilized at a later time.
- Assure a quality curriculum is developed and monitored by the MSBO Professional Development Committee.
- Use experienced practitioners to teach classes.
- Offer classes at regular intervals and reasonable prices.
- Utilize adult learning principles and provide a learning environment where colleagues can share experiences and information.
The MSBO Certification Program was designed by MSBO's Professional Development Committee in conjunction with the Facilities Management, Transportation, and Food and Nutrition Services Committees. In other words, it was created by professionals in their respective fields. For an overall look at the MSBO Voluntary Certification Program, read the MSBO certification brochure.
Check the Status of your Certification online
Go to www.gomiem.org. Then click on “Certification Status.” Type in your MIEM login and password to enter the system. When logged in, select the transcript you wish to view.
Davenport University Credit Transfer
MSBO and Davenport University have entered into a partnership that allows curriculum from MSBO certifications to be accepted as transfer credit at any Davenport University campus location. Read more.